How to apply Peel Away?
Product Data Downloads
How To Perform A Trial Patch
1. Due to many different types of paint and surface conditions, it is important that the correct variables are discovered prior to completing a job. Peel Away 1 and 8 are available in 350g Trial Kits for this purpose. Kits can be purchased direct from Peel Away or soon through Stockists and Distributors throughout New Zealand.
2. Apply the Peel Away paste 3-4mm thick (average rate) directly to the painted surface, creating an even application. Brick and stone work will require you to use the Peel Away paste to fill gaps and mortar to ensure an even coverage.
3. Cover the Peel Away paste with the supplied special Peel Away laminated paper sheet. You may cut this sheet into two sections to allow for a 2nd patch to be applied on the painted surface. Make sure to gently smooth the paper out, removing any pockets of air trapped under as best you can.
4. Tape down the edges with high stick masking tape.
5. Leave on the surface for 48 hours or more. (Successful patches can take up to 4-7 days. If unsure how long to leave your patch on, please call our Technical Consultants for advice)
6. Slide the spatula behind the paper, and ease the paint, paste and paper off in one piece. Scrape off loose debris and residue and place in thick plastic tie up bags.
7. Thoroughly wash the surface with plain water, nylon brush and sponge.
8. Examine results of Trial Patch and if successful, you have the correct variables to complete the job.
If not successful, leave the 2nd Trial Patch intact on the surface and allow more time prior to removing. For timber and painted fibreglass, please contact our Technical Consultants prior to performing this evaluation.
Technical care is taken in preparation of this information. Recommendation of technical advice, verbal or trials is given with no responsibility or warranty. Every type of timber / wood product reacts differently and trial evaluations are essential.
1. It is always recommended to carry out a Trial Patch evaluation first as all paints and surfaces have different conditions and will vary in the thickness and cover time required for Peel Away to successfully work.
2. Apply Peel Away paste 3 – 4mm thick, covering the surface evenly. If paint is very thick, or if there are many layers, then Peel Away may need to be applied up to 6mm thick.
3. Completely cover the paste with the printed Peel Away laminated paper sheet and smooth out any air bubbles. ONLY use Peel Away paper sheets.
4. Tape down the edges with masking tape to ensure an air tight seal.
5. Leave on the surface for at least a minimum of 48 hours. Depending on the surface, number of layers and age of coatings you may be required to leave Peel Away on longer on old buildings, up to 5-7 days in some cases. Please contact Peel Away Technical Advice if you are unsure.
6. By sliding a scraper/spatula behind the paper, ease off the paint, paste and paper in one piece. Remove in small sections and scrape off loose debris and residue. Place in thick plastic tie up bags.
7. Thoroughly wash the surface with plain water, nylon brush and sponge.
8. Neutralise the surface using Peel Away Neutraliser for Peel Away 1. Refer detail instructions for thoroughly neutralising of wood and plaster surfaces. Peel Away 8 is pH neutral and does not require Neutralising.
All care has been taken in preparation of this information. We recommend you to seek technical advice for your use case. Advice verbally and trials are given with no responsibility or warranty. Every site condition is different and trial evaluations are essential.
Frequently asked questions
What makes the product unique? How does it compare to competitors products and how long has it been on the market?
What makes it unique is that the product is a thick chemical paste that is applied to the surface and covered with a special laminated paper cover sheet supplied. This allows the product to be sealed in and emulsify the many layers of paint over a time period. The laminated paper cover is carefully removed with the paste and the many layers of paint. All of this is fully contained within the laminated paper sheet and can be carefully disposed of. Since it’s inception and invention over 25 years ago, very few products can compare with this proven system.
Is Peel Away 8 environmentally friendly and safe to use?
Firstly, there are no harsh solvents used in the product. The chemicals used are safe to handle and apply, although as with any chemical product it is always advisable to wear protective clothing. When dealing with higher contents of lead in older paints, the Peel Away product traps all the loose particles in the paste and fully contains the softened layers of paint as well. This ensures safe containment of the waste and complies with the environmental authority’s law in registering lead waste. This also contributes to the reduction of lead particles going down our waterways during the washing process as all the paint is fully contained as lead waste. Any waste water can be treated when collected.
Is Peel Away 1 environmentally friendly and safe to use?
This product is corrosive. It is required to wear protective clothing when handling at all times. Peel Away 1 requires Neutralising if you are repainting the surface. However Steel does not require neutralising.
What are the different applications of the Peel Away products?
The product can be used in a number of industries and on many substrates and surfaces. It is suitable for commercial, domestic, industrial, automotive and marine. Applications include bricks, concrete, sandstone and render, softwoods and hardwoods, weatherboards, fine furniture, marble, steel, cast iron and aluminium, fibreglass, fibro cement and plaster.
What impact does the product have on the construction site?
Application can be done in conjunction with many other trades around. As there are no harsh solvents, the laminated cover fully seals the process and protects the process, even in harsh weather conditions. For high content and peeling lead paints it is advisable to have this work done first and the site made safe for other trades.
Can I apply it myself?
Many larger commercial and heritage listed projects are completed using experienced contractors and other trades people. For projects of this kind, please call Peel Away for a list of recommended contractors. However Peel Away can be applied as a DIY project by following information data sheets that are supplied with the product. Instructions are comprehensive and easy to follow. When initially assessing a particular project, we always recommend performing a Trial patch with the Peel Away product. They are available at a low cost and will determine many of the factors involved with the Peel Away such as how thick to apply the product, how long to leave the product on for, how effective the product is and which Peel Away works the best.
How do I decide which Peel Away to use for my project?
Peel Away 1 is capable of removing up to 30 layers of oil based paint and multiple layers of lead based and other enamel / oil based paints. Any paint applied before the 1970’s will almost certainly contain lead. Peel Away 1 is caustic – a strong alkaline and is corrosive to the skin, so basic precautions such as wearing of protective clothing & gloves need to be taken. After using Peel Away 1 and if repainting or rendering, Peel Away Neutraliser needs to be applied to return the surface to a neutral pH level.
Peel Away 8 is a newer more user friendly product suitable for removing up to 12 layers of most types of paint. Surfaces do not need to be neutralised after using Peel Away 8. Peel Away 8 is not corrosive to the skin, although the use of gloves and other protective clothing is still recommended. Peel Away 8 is the best choice for removing the anti-fouling from fibreglass and other boats, also for removing newer acrylic and water based coatings.
Where can I buy Peel Away
Peel Away will soon be available from selected specialist paint stores national-wide. For information, technical evaluation, applicator recommendation and guidance, please call Peel Away on (09)320 4235 / 0800 787 472. You can also buy Peel Away direct from this website and at there Head Office at 13 Ophir Street, Newton, 1010 Auckland, NZ and through this website.